Sunday, October 20, 2013

Betolt Brecht, Autumn Equinox, and the Creative Spirit

More than 20 years ago, I discovered this poem by Bertolt Brecht. It relates to the creative spirit.
It runs through my head at certain moments and I feel it relates to all the artists out there who are extremely talented, but unrecognized.

THE ABANDONED GREENHOUSE

Exhausted from watering the fruit trees
I lately stepped through the open door into the small greenhouse,
where in the shadow of the tattered blind lie the remains of the rare flowers.
Still, made from wood, cloth and wire netting stands the installation

Still, the twine holds the pale withered stems upright.

Bygone day's attention is still visible,
many a subtle touch.

Across the tented roof sways
the shadow of the common evergreens which,
living by rain have no need of art.

As always,
the lovely and sensitive are no longer.






 

1 comment:

  1. xoE,

    Reading this felt as though you were thinking of me too. This is a haunting image and it's no wonder that it runs through your head even 20 years later. It's beautiful and he has written a very clear picture of this greenhouse, I can see it in my mind's eye.

    Some of us see one another and that is often enough. Since my mother is gone, I no longer have to measure myself by her grandiose standards. I can be content.

    Thank you,

    xoC

    ReplyDelete